Why Burke deserves Wooden
Wooden picks, Ryan Kelly's rising draft stock and games to watch this week
During college hoops season, Jay Bilas and Chad Ford will start the week by addressing a big question, evaluating NBA prospects on the rise and looking ahead to the next week.
The discussion: Which player is most deserving of the Wooden Award at this point in the season?
Jay Bilas: The Wooden Award is the Heisman Trophy of college basketball, and we have certainly lived up to the standard set by the Heisman discussion in college football by making every game a referendum on whether a Wooden Award candidate can play. It seems as if every game, almost every half, it is discussed whether a player is the leading candidate or "in the discussion" for the award. It's not necessarily a body of work, but the latest guy with a hot hand.
Chad and I are the ones addressing the question this week, looking at which player is most deserving of the Wooden based on his performance throughout the season so far. There are several deserving players, including Michigan's Trey Burke, Creighton's Doug McDermott, Georgetown's Otto Porter Jr., Indiana's Victor Oladipo, Indiana's Cody Zeller, Duke's Mason Plumlee, Kansas' Ben McLemore and Oklahoma State's Marcus Smart.
But in my judgment, the leading candidate for the Wooden Award is Burke.
To see the complete discussion from Jay Bilas and Chad Ford on which player should be considered the Wooden Award favorite, plus a look at rising prospects and games to watch, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Coach K calls Team USA 'ultimate honor'
- Florida F Yeguete has surgery on right knee
- Elon joining Colonial in latest expansion move
- SF Pinson commits to play for in-state Heels
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game