Betting Wednesday's top games
Picking ATS winners for the biggest college basketball games
Every week for the rest of the college basketball season, Dave Tuley will resume his Tuley's Take on the big midweek games with a piece on Tuesday and another on Wednesday as we head toward the conference tournaments (his favorite time to find live underdogs in recent years) and into March Madness. He'll give a projected point spread and pick for each.
Tuesday night was highlighted by upsets, with Minnesota knocking off No. 1 Indiana, Tennessee beating No. 8 Florida and Xavier defeating No. 19 Memphis. I was glad to have all three in my Tuesday column for ESPN Insider.
I did lose with Auburn and Wake Forest failing to cover in their games to go 3-2 ATS overall, but as I posted in the comments and on Twitter, "I'll take 60% all day/all night." Including last week, that makes my top plays 6-3 ATS, 6-4 if counting that Miami (Fla.) kinda-sorta-but-not-really pick from last week.
Also in the comments Tuesday, ESPN Insider subscriber justgiants posted, "I too can pick every underdog." But I'll reiterate that even though nearly every team I choose to bet is an underdog, I don't pick every underdog. There's a difference. There were 12 games in major college basketball Tuesday night. Underdogs covered six and favorites covered six, so you still have to pick the right ones to show a profit. While I did take the 'dog in all five games Tuesday night, that's because I liked all five and felt the points they were getting represented betting value.
That's not always the case, as we'll see when we look at Wednesday's games, plus a glance at Duke-Virginia on Thursday night thrown in for good measure.
Projected point spread: Georgetown minus-3
What did my three wins Tuesday night have in common? Besides the obvious that they were all underdogs, they were all home 'dogs. I'm sure a lot of people are assuming I'll automatically take the home 'dog here, but this is where I'll show I can be selective. This number has come up too short for my liking, and it's 2.5 at a lot of books. Georgetown leads the Big East, and there has been speculation that the Hoyas could be a No. 1 seed (though Joe Lunardi has them on the 2-line).
To read Dave Tuley's advice on how to bet Georgetown-UConn and other big college basketball matchups Wednesday night, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Kaminsky, No. 6 Wisconsin prevail in overtime
- Kentucky matches best start under Calipari
- Williams, Texas Tech upset No. 9 Iowa St.
- Alexander, No. 11 Kansas top No. 17 Texas
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game