Florida reclaims spot on top line
Gators in mix to land No. 1 overall seed; Villanova, Cal are last teams in
Welcome back to the expanded edition of Joe Lunardi's Rundown. Since the start of February, this series has featured tournament odds, an element that will take you deeper into Bracketology. Bracketology provides a snapshot of how the bracket looks on a specific day, but through the use of Lunardi's extensive database of previous seasons, tournament odds tell you how the bracket is likely to look come Selection Sunday.
By losing at Maryland this weekend, Duke actually did us a favor. It made possible the seemingly inevitable leap by Miami over the Blue Devils into the No. 2 overall spot on the S-curve. Because the Hurricanes have a full three-game lead in the ACC, it's no longer reasonable to slot them behind Duke because of a weaker nonconference profile. Miami's unbeaten performance in the ACC thus far (12-0) is enough to break the tie for that position.
I gave additional thought to dropping Duke to No. 5 overall and elevating Gonzaga to the top line. Although this would be a popular move for many, it would also be wrong. Other than poll position, the Blue Devils still top the Zags in every significant category. Further, when we add in the element of sub-150 and non-Division I wins -- three for Duke and 13 for Gonzaga -- it's an easy distinction for us to make. There is also the consolation that, if this were the final bracket, No. 4 overall would be paired with No. 5 as a potential Elite Eight game (just as it should be).
For Lunardi's in-depth report that goes beyond Bracketology, plus complete access to Insider's college hoops coverage, become an ESPN Insider.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- No. 10 L'ville erases 18-point hole, beats UNC
- Robinson's heroics help Pitt topple No. 8 ND
- Vols defeat Auburn, spoil coach Pearl's return
- Northern Iowa ends Shockers' 27-game run
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game