Betting 'Big Monday' games
Why Pittsburgh and Kansas State are good bets in ESPN's 'Big Monday' games
With football season now over, college basketball has taken the spotlight for gamblers. That means it's time for your weekly chaser columns to turn to hoops, which has games every night across the country, so there are plenty of opportunities to try to beat the lines.
Every Monday, we'll take a look at the two games airing on ESPN from a gambling perspective, with a pick on the game from Teddy Covers here on Insider.
Notre Dame's magical play of late ran into a bump with a surprising 17-point loss at Providence on Saturday. Prior to the loss, the Irish had won five of six games and three in overtime, including a five-overtime thriller over Louisville.
The question is whether Notre Dame's loss to Providence is cause for concern or whether it just came as a natural letdown after so many intense recent games. Notre Dame coach Mike Brey even alluded to this fact in his news conference after the Providence loss, saying that his team had been though a lot emotionally and physically, and needed to get its energy back for Monday's game.
Pittsburgh is also coming off a loss, falling to Marquette for the second time this season. It's been a typical Pittsburgh season thus far. The Panthers are the Big East's top defensive team, holding opponents to 55.4 points per game. They also lead the Big East in field goal percentage and scoring differential, shooting 48.0 percent on the season and outscoring opponents by 15.6 points. The second stat, obviously, is somewhat a function of a soft nonconference schedule.
Teddy Covers says:
To read more about how to bet the 'Big Monday' college basketball games, plus get access to all of Insider's gambling content, become an Insider today.
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game