Picks for Saturday's big games
Projecting ATS winners for Duke-Maryland, Pittsburgh-Marquette and more
A quick history lesson shows rather clearly that Duke does not let down immediately following a win over archrival North Carolina. Over the past seven seasons, the Blue Devils have beaten the Tar Heels seven times. In its next game following those victories, Duke has gone 7-0 straight up and 5-2 against the spread. It's worth noting that both ATS losses came in games that Duke won by double digits but were unable to cover an inflated point spread.
Since its 13-1 start, Maryland has come back to earth, just 4-6 straight up in the last 10 games. The Terps were run out of the gym when they faced Duke in Durham last month -- a 20-point Blue Devils victory. Star Maryland center Alex Len was outplayed by Mason Plumlee in the low post, and Duke's wing duo of Seth Curry and Rasheed Sulaimon combined to hit nine 3-pointers.
If Len can't dominate down low, the Terps are in trouble again, as they lack Duke's perimeter quickness or shooting touch.
The ATS pick: Duke
To read all of Teddy Covers' against-the-spread picks for Saturday's biggest games, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Source: Pollard with Tide despite legal woes
- Graham becomes 4th to transfer from PSU
- Georgetown's Whittington has torn left ACL
- Baylor's Jackson (knee) can't work out for draft
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game