Bracket Math: UNC, UK on bubble
Inconsistent Tar Heels, Noel-less Wildcats in danger of missing tourney
This edition of Bracket Math includes games through Thursday, Feb. 14. Rankings reflect an up-to-date S-curve from yours truly, posing as one hypothetical member of the NCAA men's basketball committee.
Notes on the "new" math:
It's a bit unusual for the bubble to expand as it has here in mid-February, but that's the case now that a number of presumed "safe" teams -- including Kentucky and North Carolina -- have gone backward. In North Carolina's case, it's because of a shaky résumé. Kentucky, on the other hand, is dealing with the loss of freshman star Nerlens Noel as well as the reality that its entire season comes down to how the selection committee views the Wildcats without Noel in the lineup. Suddenly, I have a vision of these two blue-blood programs going to the First Four in Dayton, Ohio (and perhaps playing each other). That would be quite a spectacle.
To read more from Joe Lunardi on how the Pac-12 race is shaping the bubble, which weekend games are most impactful, and see how the latest S-curve breaks down, sign up for ESPN Insider today.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- No. 10 Texas rides Holmes to 2K Classic title
- Kentucky pulls away from pesky Terriers
- Source: Texas PG Taylor out 4-6 weeks
- Okafor, Duke reach Coaches vs. Cancer final
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game