Betting 'Big Monday' games
Why Marquette and Kansas are good bets in ESPN's 'Big Monday' games
With football season now over, college basketball has taken the spotlight for gamblers. That means it's time for your weekly chaser columns to turn to college basketball, which has games every night across the country, so there are plenty of opportunities to try to beat the lines.
Every Monday, we'll take a look at the two games airing on ESPN from a gambling perspective, with a pick on the game from Teddy Covers here on Insider.
Teddy Covers says: "Georgetown's Otto Porter Jr., a projected lottery pick in this summer's draft, continues to wow NBA scouts. Porter's jump shot and rebounding acumen have improved by leaps and bounds this year, and he's grown comfortable as the Hoyas' go-to guy during crunch time of tight games. Porter has been on a stellar run of late, scoring 17 or more while shooting 50 percent from the floor or better in six of his past seven ballgames.
"The Hoyas have won five straight (covering the spread in all five victories) and seven of their past eight, playing outstanding basketball on both ends of the court. Some of that recent success has been schedule related -- they've faced Rutgers, Seton Hall, St. John's (twice), South Florida and Providence during this streak; not exactly a 'who's who' of elite Big East teams. And the most impressive win during this run came at home against Louisville by only 2 points, not enough to cover tonight's point spread.
"So despite Georgetown's recent success, there are legitimate reasons to think that they'll struggle to cover the spread here. Let's not forget that John Thompson III's squad has a losing ATS mark at home this year and a losing ATS mark as favorites.
To read more about how to bet the 'Big Monday' college basketball games, plus get access to all of Insider's gambling content, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- No. 8 Michigan overcomes scare from Illinois
- No. 1 Florida turns it on late, ousts Mizzou
- Source: Barclays negotiates with A-10, ACC
- Harris scores 20 as UVa pulls away from FSU
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game