CBB's most underutilized players
Players who need more time, plus Miami's potential and other takeaways
Watching little-used Garrick Sherman score 17 points across five overtimes in Notre Dame's thrilling 104-101 win over Louisville gave me an idea. Might there be other players nationally who are underutilized and just waiting for their own moment in the spotlight?
Unlike Sherman, the following three players at least get steady minutes. But maybe if we put these guys into a 65-minute game and fouled out enough of their teammates, we'd see something special and unprecedented from each of them. Here are my choices for the three most underutilized players in the nation:
Alex Oriakhi, Missouri
Oriakhi's had a career arc that few players can match either for the highs or the lows. As a sophomore, his beastly postseason offensive rebounding was a crucial (though often overlooked) element in Connecticut's run to the 2011 national championship. The following season, however, his minutes actually went down as the Huskies carved out room in the rotation for all-everything freshman Andre Drummond. And truth be told, Oriakhi's minutes should have gone down. Whether it was because he was unhappy or he'd lost confidence -- or both -- his level of performance did decline.
That decline is now a distant memory.
To read about the most underutilized players in the nation, plus other takeaways from Saturday's games, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Ex-Baylor star Austin: NBA offered job too
- C-USA chief: 'Second 5' will still be relevant
- Source: Mudiay signs deal to play in China
- Creighton's Chatman set for thumb surgery
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game