Betting 'Big Monday' games
Why Pittsburgh and Kansas are good bets in ESPN's 'Big Monday' games
With football season over, college basketball soon will take the spotlight for gamblers. That means it's time for your weekly chaser columns to turn to college basketball, which has games every night across the country, so there are plenty of opportunities to try to beat the lines.
Every Monday, we'll take a look at the two games airing on ESPN from a gambling perspective, with a pick on the game from Teddy Covers here on Insider.
Evidently, the worst thing that ever happened to Louisville was becoming the No. 1 team in the nation. In our first Monday night college basketball chaser of the year, we previewed the Louisville-Connecticut Huskies game, which was the Cardinals' first after being ranked atop the nation. Since beating UConn, Louisville has dropped three straight, all in the Big East.
Coach Rick Pitino called this a "must-win" game for Louisville. Considering coaches hate to label games as such, as well as the fact that it's only January, you get some understanding how badly Louisville is craving a victory.
The Cardinals have to get Peyton Siva out of his slump. Over the past three games, he's shooting 6-for-24 and was held without a point in Louisville's last game -- the first time he hasn't scored since his freshman year.
Pittsburgh comes in on a four-game winning streak, as well as a three-game road winning streak. The Panthers are coming off their largest win while playing in the Big East, a 38-point victory over DePaul.
Teddy Covers says: "Louisville is slumping, losers of three straight. All three losses have followed a similar pattern. The Cardinals have been right there with Syracuse, Villanova and Georgetown in the latter stages of the second half. They've had second-half leads in all three contests. But Louisville's crunch time execution has been awful, particularly on the offensive end of the court. There's a significant mental aspect involved in winning close games late, and right now, I really question the Cardinals' confidence level, even on their own home floor.
To read more about how to bet the 'Big Monday' college basketball games, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Ducks overcome Henderson, Ole Miss in OT
- No. 24 San Diego St. rallies by Washington
- Buffs' buzzer-beater stuns No. 6 Jayhawks
- McConnell, No. 2 Wildcats squeak by UNLV
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game