Duke's issues without Ryan Kelly
Plus, concerns for Kentucky and why Missouri needs Laurence Bowers
After injuring his right foot, Ryan Kelly sat out the second half of Duke's comfortable 68-40 win at home against Clemson. Playing without Kelly, the No. 1-ranked Blue Devils posted their worst defensive showing of the season four days later, allowing host NC State to score 1.17 points per possession in Duke's 84-76 loss -- its first of the season.
Cause and effect? Not entirely, of course, but to a certain extent, one thing did help the other along. Kelly's absence didn't single-handedly trigger the Blue Devils' first loss, but it sure didn't help. More importantly, there's good reason for Mike Krzyzewski to be worried as long as the 6-foot-11 senior is sidelined by his injury.
To read more about Duke's issues without Ryan Kelly, plus other takeaways from Saturday's games, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Coach K calls Team USA 'ultimate honor'
- Florida F Yeguete has surgery on right knee
- SF Pinson commits to play for in-state Heels
- Vanderbilt blocks Jeter from transferring to Pitt
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game