Nation's most underrated players
Eric Atkins, Otto Porter among college basketball's most undervalued
During college hoops season, Jay Bilas and Chad Ford will start the week off by addressing a big question, evaluating NBA prospects on the rise and looking ahead to the next week.
The discussion: Who are the five most underrated players in college basketball?Jay Bilas: So often, we discuss and dissect prospects based on their NBA futures. In doing so, we sometimes lose sight of the outstanding college careers unfolding before us, and forget to enjoy the ride in favor of thinking solely about the destination. Here are five underrated, underappreciated and underpublicized players who are having a heck of a ride this season in the college game. Ryan Kelly, F, Duke Blue Devils
How can a player from Duke -- who we see on television more often than Wolf Blitzer -- be underrated? Kelly's contributions to Duke's success and the way the team plays is not often discussed -- and is often misunderstood. Kelly is a true "stretch 4," which is a term that is often misused to describe a forward who can make a perimeter shot. A lot of teams have great spacing, but floor spacing is only worth something if the defense goes with each player. If you can stretch the defense, you've got something, and Kelly can stretch the defense. He is a terrific shooter, can drive and is a good ball handler and passer. Even though he is not a great run-and-jump athlete, he is a very good defender who can block a shot and defend a post or perimeter big.
To read more from Chad Ford and Jay Bilas on the most underrated players in college basketball, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Ducks overcome Henderson, Ole Miss in OT
- No. 24 San Diego St. rallies by Washington
- Buffs' buzzer-beater stuns No. 6 Jayhawks
- McConnell, No. 2 Wildcats squeak by UNLV
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game