Oklahoma State's perfect timing
The Cowboys are peaking at a time when there's room among Big 12 elite
- William Purnell/Icon SMIMarcus Smart is a big reason for Oklahoma State's early-season success.
The Oklahoma State Cowboys are poised to make a clean break from recent history in more ways than one this season. They haven't won an NCAA tournament game since 2009, and in Travis Ford's four seasons in Stillwater his team has compiled a rather unsightly 6-27 record on the road in Big 12 play.
I'll go out on a limb and predict that OSU will beat that 18 percent winning rate this season in Big 12 away games. In fact, for a team that was buried deep in the "also receiving votes" section of the preseason polls, the Cowboys greet the new calendar year looking like a surprisingly solid pick as the second-best team in the conference, behind only Kansas.
Give Ford credit. This team has improved markedly from last season, and the Cowboys are getting the job done with defense and youth, in that order. In a season when the Big 12 is weaker statistically than it's been in a decade, Oklahoma State's going against that grain and doing the league proud. Here's why Ford has the perfect team to bring the rowdy back to Gallagher-Iba Arena.
To read John Gasaway's full take on Oklahoma State, including where the Cowboys rank in the Big 12 pecking order, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Wichita St. routs Evansville, improves to 32-0
- South Carolina coach Martin sorry for outburst
- Duke's Parker hasn't decided on NBA draft
- Winthrop upsets High Point with last-second 3
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game