The Wildcats' untapped potential
Arizona isn't the nation's No. 3 team right now. But it could be No. 1 by April
That was the day the Wildcats played San Diego State in the championship game of the Diamond Head Classic in Honolulu. With the Aztecs trailing 68-67 and less than five seconds remaining in the contest, Chase Tapley had what he thought was a clear path to an uncontested and, most likely, game-winning layup for SDSU. But that was before Johnson made a game-saving block for the Wildcats. Take it from Tapley, it was a pretty amazing play:
"I didn't even know he [Johnson] was around. He just came out of nowhere. I'm thinking the game is over. The next thing you know the ball is going off the backboard."
Thanks to Johnson's heroics, UA enters Pac-12 play 12-0 and ranked behind only Duke and Michigan in the national polls. The lofty ranking given to Sean Miller's team strikes me as somewhat ironic. On the one hand, No. 3 in the nation is a little too high for this young team. On the other hand, I can easily envision Arizona as the nation's third-best team -- or better -- before all is said and done in 2012-13.
To read John Gasaway's full take on Arizona and the weakness it needs to address to reach its elite potential, you must be an ESPN Insider.
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Nike Men's Arizona Wildcats #15 Cardinal Elite Replica Basketball Jersey