Indiana's deep harmony
Every starter matters, so IU's offense keeps hitting all the chords
The inspiration for this piece comes to you courtesy of a very good ESPNU College Basketball Podcast done this week by my colleagues Andy Katz and Seth Greenberg. Andy put a question to Seth that was so intriguing that I'm going to jump in and take a crack at it myself.
Andy's question (jump to the 15:30 mark) was this: If you had to pick just one player from Indiana to nominate for National Player of the Year, who would it be?
Right now you're thinking, duh, Cody Zeller (and that's pretty much what Seth said), but it's actually a mark of how well the Hoosiers have played as a team that Andy's question really could have multiple answers. Let's consider each member of IU's starting five, and in particular I want to consider what each player has brought to the table to make Indiana arguably the best offense in the nation. To this point in the young season, the Hoosiers have scored 802 points in 642 possessions, and you just don't do that without some POY-level performers (plural).
So, whom would I nominate for national Player of the Year? Glad you asked, Andy!
To read John Gasaway's full take on the Hoosiers, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA president: Pay-for-play isn't coming
- NCAA may work with power 5 conferences
- Wells sparks Maryland past Boston College
- Former Hoya Whittington intends to transfer
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game
- adidas Men's Cincinnati Bearcats #23 Impact Camo Black Replica Tournament Basketball Jersey