Is Florida the SEC's best team?
Looking at the Gators' chances to win the league, and their top challengers
The Florida Gators are in an interesting position right now. They are the highest-ranked team in the SEC, yet still tend to be overshadowed by conference rivals the Kentucky Wildcats and (to a lesser extent) the Missouri Tigers.
I tend to side with the voters, as I think the Gators are playing the best basketball at the moment among all SEC teams. They are 5-0, including a 74-56 blowout of a tough and defensive-minded Wisconsin team (their aircraft carrier matchup with Georgetown was canceled at halftime).
This theory of mine is about to be put to the test, however, with the Gators' next three games coming against Marquette (Thursday night), at Florida State and at Arizona. What do I like about the Gators' chances to finish the season as the SEC's top team, and which teams will be their toughest challengers for the league title? Let's take a look.
To read the rest of Miles Simon's take on Florida and the top SEC contenders, become an Insider today.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Washington's Wilcox undergoes foot surgery
- Ex-coach Alford, New Mexico agree on buyout
- Kansas St. adds former Hoyas forward Bolden
- Stoudamire back at Arizona as assistant coach
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Fraschilla: How top recruits can improve
• Pomeroy: Next season's All-American teams
• Gasaway: Top freshmen for 2012-13
• Bilas: Kentucky tops 2013-14 rankings
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Recruiting: Top battles for elite prospects
• Finkelstein: Minnesota's new approach
• Biancardi: Class of 2013 Dream Team
• Roundtable: Bold predictions for 2013 classes
• Rankin: Top 5 sleeper recruiting classes
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
• Ford: Mock Draft 2.0
• Ford: McCollum among top sleeper prospects
• Fraschilla: The case for taking Len over Noel
• Ford: An early look at the 2014 NBA draft
• Ford: Ranking the top 30 NBA draft prospects
• Ford: Who's in, who's out of draft?
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game