Wolverines thrive on the inside
Tim Hardaway Jr.'s breakout month changes Michigan outlook
It's been a month now since I critiqued the AP preseason poll more or less the moment it was released, and on the whole I'm fairly happy with the unsolicited advice I offered to pollsters way back then. For instance I said I thought NC State (ranked No. 6 by the AP in the preseason) was being overrated, and so far that looks pretty good. I also said I thought Duke (No. 8 a month ago) was being underrated -- that, too, looks like a reasonable assessment, though of course what seems "reasonable" in late November is hardly the final word on any college hoops subject.
But of all the comments I offered in that piece, the one that triggered the largest response from readers -- by far -- was my classification of Michigan (preseason No. 5) as overrated. Hardly a day goes by without at least one fan of the Maize and Blue asking me whether I "still" think the Wolverines are being over-hyped.
It's a fair question. After all, John Beilein's team is 5-0, and last week at Madison Square Garden the Wolverines defeated Pittsburgh and Kansas State on their way to capturing the championship of the NIT Season Tip-Off. Is it possible I spoke too soon?
To see whether John Gasaway has changed his mind on Michigan, you must be an ESPN Insider.
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Adidas Men's Michigan Wolverines Blue Basketball Graphic T-shirt