The Blue Devils' star power
Fast starts by Curry, Plumlee provide evidence of Duke's elite potential
A little more than two weeks ago the preseason AP poll was released, and I said I thought my fellow basketball writers were underrating Duke by ranking them as the No. 8 team in the nation and, more specifically, as the No. 2 team in the ACC (behind North Carolina State).
I soon learned that when you use "Duke" and "underrated" in the same sentence, you get a reaction. I got a reaction. "Duke?! Underrated?!" Surely I was joking.
Hey, just because Duke is Duke, and just because they really were overrated for much of last season, doesn't mean Mike Krzyzewski's team can't be underrated. Coach K's team was arguably underrated -- even as a No. 1 seed -- heading into the 2010 NCAA tournament, and look what happened.
So, yes, it is at least possible for the Blue Devils to be underrated, and with their 75-68 win last night over No. 3 Kentucky in Atlanta, this Duke team has raised the question anew. Just how good are these guys? Based on a very small sample size (131 possessions in two games), the answer to that question is plain. Duke is very good.
To read John Gasaway's full take on Duke, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Krzyzewski to return as coach of Team USA
- Florida F Yeguete has surgery on right knee
- SF Pinson commits to play for in-state Heels
- Vanderbilt blocks Jeter from transferring to Pitt
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game