Five burning questions for WCC
Why Gonzaga is a threat to reach Sweet 16, and other key answers
With the start of the 2012-13 college basketball season fast approaching, ESPN Insider is looking at the five "burning" questions facing each of the major conferences. In this edition, John Gasaway looks at the West Coast Conference.
Will there ever be another streak like Gonzaga's in the WCC?
Now that Gonzaga's streak of 11 consecutive West Coast Conference regular-season titles has been snapped (congratulations, Saint Mary's), it seems like a good time to ask whether Mark Few's Bulldogs or anyone else can ever record such a streak again.
Step one: Win the WCC this season. The Zags should be in good shape there. With Elias Harris, Kevin Pangos, Gary Bell, and Sam Dower leading the way, Gonzaga figures to be not only the class of the WCC but also a legitimate threat to return to the Sweet 16 for the first time since 2009. I wrote about the Zags just a few weeks ago, so I'll be brief on this subject. Bottom line: Few has the pieces in place to start a new streak of WCC titles.
To read John Gasaway's answers to the five burning questions facing the WCC this season, you must be an ESPN Insider.
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game