Five key questions in the A-10
Will new additions Butler and VCU contend for the conference title?
Can Butler win the A-10 title in its first season in the league?
True, the last time you saw coach Brad Stevens' Bulldogs, they couldn't buy a basket. In conference play, Butler was the worst shooting team from the field in the Horizon League. Now Butler has joined the A-10 and, with all due respect to the Horizon, the A-10 is a tougher conference. (The difference in quality between last season's A-10 and Horizon was about the same statistically as the difference between the Big Ten and Missouri Valley.) So why should we think Butler has any shot at finishing first in its new conference?
Math, personnel and the competition are three reasons they should compete for the A-10 title. Last season, Butler made just 26 percent of 3s in conference play, a number so awful that the Bulldogs are virtually certain to beat it this season whether they play in the A-10, Big Ten or NBA. That's important, because perimeter shooting wasn't just Butler's biggest problem in 2011-12 -- it was their only problem. Everything else was on point for a team that competed for its league's title. A few more made 3-pointers, and this team can get a lot better in a hurry.
To read about the most burning questions surrounding the A-10, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- No. 4 Duke dismisses junior guard Sulaimon
- Two Southern Miss players ruled ineligible
- Big 12/SEC Challenge to be single-day event
- Bradley's top scorer arrested at strip club
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game