Can UNLV play to its potential?
The Rebels are loaded with enough talent to make a deep March run
Leading up to Midnight Madness this month, ESPN Insider's Countdown to Madness series is previewing the top five seeds in each of the four regions in Joe Lunardi's preseason 2013 NCAA bracket. To read about the key stats and freshman impact for each team as the previews are published, plus expert predictions from Jay Bilas, Fran Fraschilla and Lunardi, click here. This is the entry for the UNLV Rebels, No. 5 in the South (Arlington, Texas).
The key: A high-powered offense
Stat to know: 0.933
The strength of this UNLV club lies in its impressive talent and, more specifically, its ability to put the ball in the basket. When Dave Rice took over as head coach, he made it a point of emphasis to get this group running again. One year in, it appears he has gotten that point across.
The Rebels put up 76.7 points per game last season, good for No. 24 in the nation and No. 1 in the Mountain West. For the year, they averaged 0.933 points per play (PPP), grading out as "excellent," according to Synergy Sports Technology. And while they did lose some talent over the summer, the Rebels have responded by bringing in an intriguing collection of transfers that includes Khem Birch (Pittsburgh) and Bryce Dejean-Jones (USC), as well as a highly touted recruiting haul led by five-star prospect Anthony Bennett.
To read the full 2012-13 UNLV preview, including the Rebels' season outlook from Joe Lunardi, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Green Bay coach to keep job after investigation
- DePaul grants Kirk permission to seek transfer
- Coach K calls Team USA 'ultimate honor'
- Florida F Yeguete has surgery on right knee
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game