Bo Ryan's next challenge
The Badgers must replace Jordan Taylor with another Sweet 16 at stake
Leading up to Midnight Madness this month, ESPN Insider's Countdown to Madness series is previewing the top five seeds in each of the four regions in Joe Lunardi's preseason 2013 NCAA bracket. To read about the key stats and freshman impact for each team as the previews are published, plus expert predictions from Jay Bilas, Fran Fraschilla and Lunardi, click here. This is the entry for the Wisconsin Badgers, No. 3 in the South (Arlington, Texas).
The key: Frontcourt versatility and depth
Stat to know: 42.5 percent
Whenever you have all three starters returning up front, you're in good shape. When you add a freshman who might ultimately be the best of the bunch, you're Bo Ryan.
Wisconsin's coach is rightfully excited about the ways he can mix and match inside. Seniors Mike Bruesewitz (6-foot-6, 223 pounds), Ryan Evans (6-6, 212) and Jared Berggren (6-10, 235) each started all 36 games last season. All averaged between 4.9 and 6.8 rebounds per game. All attempted at least 38 3-pointers. And, as seniors, they have an intimate understanding of how to make Wisconsin's system click.
That's especially important on the defensive end, where the Badgers were as efficient as ever in 2011-12. They ranked fifth in the country in adjusted efficiency (87.1 points per 100 possessions) and held opponents to a 42.5 effective field goal percentage, which was second in the nation. The Badgers rely on help and communication, and it's hard to argue against three seniors who have already excelled in that area.
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Blue 84 Men's Wisconsin Badgers Final Four Bound 'showdown' Basketball Red T-shirt