Will Creighton's 'O' be enough?
An elite offense has Bluejays poised for deep March run, if the D can hold up
Leading up to Midnight Madness in October, ESPN Insider's "Countdown to Madness" series is previewing the top five seeds in each of the four regions in Joe Lunardi's preseason 2013 NCAA bracket. To read about the key stats and freshman impact for each team as the previews are published, plus get expert predictions from Jay Bilas, Fran Fraschilla and Lunardi, click here. This is the entry for the Creighton Bluejays, No. 5 in the East (Washington).
The key: The coach's son
Stat to know: 63.2 percent
If it's possible for a first-team All-American to be underrated, Doug McDermott was underrated last year. Being classed alongside Anthony Davis, Thomas Robinson, Draymond Green and Jared Sullinger is nice, surely. But did I really hear enough about this remarkable season as it unfolded in real time?
I guess I'd phrase that year this way: McDermott took a higher share of the shots in Creighton's offense than Kemba Walker accounted for in Connecticut's offense in the Huskies' national championship season in 2010-11. Yet at the same time, McDermott was far more accurate inside the arc (63.2 percent) than was Ohio State's Sullinger last year, and he made 48.6 percent of his 111 3-point attempts. For good measure, McDermott also drew five fouls per 40 minutes and shot 80 percent at the line.
To read the full 2012-13 Creighton preview, including the Bluejays' season outlook from Fran Fraschilla, you must be an ESPN Insider.
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game