Can Blue Devils 'overachieve?'
With lower national expectations, Duke may surprise some in 2012-13
Leading up to Midnight Madness in October, ESPN Insider's "Countdown to Madness" series is previewing the top five seeds in each of the four regions in Joe Lunardi's preseason 2013 NCAA bracket. To read about the key stats and freshman impact for each team as the previews are published, plus get expert predictions from Jay Bilas, Fran Fraschilla and Lunardi, click here. This is the entry for the Duke Blue Devils, No. 4 in the East (Washington).
The keys: Veteran starters
Stat to know: 82.4 percent
Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski is looking to turn the page quickly from a 2011-12 season that ended without an NCAA tournament win, and he just might have the roster to do it as he enters his 33rd season at the ACC school.
The Blue Devils won't have the luxury of turning to Austin Rivers, their polarizing guard who led the team in scoring as a true freshman (15.5 ppg) before leaving for the NBA. But they will be stronger in a number of ways.
First and foremost, they will be more experienced.
To read the full 2012-13 Duke preview, including the Blue Devils' season outlook from Joe Lunardi, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Gators hope to have Wilbekin, Hill vs. Kansas
- Ducks overcome Henderson, Ole Miss in OT
- No. 24 San Diego St. rallies by Washington
- Buffs' buzzer-beater stuns No. 6 Jayhawks
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game
- Rawlings Duke Blue Devils Alley Oop Youth-Sized Rubber Basketball