Syracuse reloads for 2012-13
Despite losing key players, Jim Boeheim has another Elite Eight team
Leading up to Midnight Madness in October, ESPN Insider's "Countdown to Madness" series is previewing the top five seeds in each of the four regions in Joe Lunardi's preseason 2013 NCAA bracket. To read about the key stats and freshman impact for each team as the previews are published, plus get expert predictions from Jay Bilas, Fran Fraschilla and Lunardi, click here. This is the entry for the Syracuse Orange, No. 2 in the East (Washington).
The keys: Depth
Stat to know: 39.9 percent
The cupboard never seems bare at Syracuse. Jim Boeheim's squad lost 55.6 percent of its scoring from a year ago, an absence that would indicate "rebuilding season" for any other Division I program, yet the Orange are arguably deeper than last year's unit. The player who might be missed the most, Dion Waiters, came off the bench for Cuse and used just 60 percent of Syracuse's available minutes while converting 53 percent of his 2s and 36.3 percent of his 3s.
"We lost Dion and Scoop [Jardine], two tremendous players in our backcourt," Boeheim said. "But the good thing is we played so many guys last year, our returning players all saw a significant amount of minutes."
To read the full 2012-13 Syracuse preview, including the Orange's season outlook from Fran Fraschilla, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Top Cats: Zona is new No. 1; Syracuse 2nd
- UF guards Wilbekin, Hill to play vs. Kansas
- Ducks overcome Henderson, Ole Miss in OT
- No. 24 San Diego St. rallies by Washington
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game
- Nike Youth Syracuse Orange White #5 Elite Replica Basketball Jersey