The Cardinals can win it all
With depth and experience, Louisville is a favorite to reach Final Four
Leading up to Midnight Madness in October, ESPN Insider's "Countdown to Madness" series is previewing the top five seeds in each of the four regions in Joe Lunardi's preseason 2013 NCAA bracket. To read about the key stats and freshman impact for each team as the previews are published, plus get expert predictions from Jay Bilas, Fran Fraschilla and Lunardi, click here. This is the entry for the Louisville Cardinals, No. 1 in the Midwest (Indianapolis).
The key: A stifling defense
Stat to know: 0.764
Louisville enters this season facing the pressure of great expectations. The Cardinals are generating plenty of buzz as a preseason top-5 team with the potential to go all the way, and doing so would make Rick Pitino just the fifth active coach with multiple national championships to his name. Of course, to achieve that milestone, Louisville will again be relying on strong defensive play.
To read the full 2012-13 Louisville preview, including the Cardinals' season outlook from Jay Bilas, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Report: Coach K considering Team USA return
- Washington's Wilcox undergoes foot surgery
- Ex-coach Alford, New Mexico agree on buyout
- Kansas St. adds former Hoyas forward Bolden
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Fraschilla: How top recruits can improve
• Pomeroy: Next season's All-American teams
• Gasaway: Top freshmen for 2012-13
• Bilas: Kentucky tops 2013-14 rankings
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Recruiting: Top battles for elite prospects
• Finkelstein: Minnesota's new approach
• Biancardi: Class of 2013 Dream Team
• Roundtable: Bold predictions for 2013 classes
• Rankin: Top 5 sleeper recruiting classes
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
• Ford: Mock Draft 2.0
• Ford: McCollum among top sleeper prospects
• Fraschilla: The case for taking Len over Noel
• Ford: An early look at the 2014 NBA draft
• Ford: Ranking the top 30 NBA draft prospects
• Ford: Who's in, who's out of draft?
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game