UCLA will depend on freshmen
If Muhammad and Anderson are ruled eligible, the Bruins could win Pac-12
Leading up to Midnight Madness in October, ESPN Insider's "Countdown to Madness" series is previewing the top five seeds in each of the four regions in Joe Lunardi's preseason 2013 NCAA bracket. To read about the key stats and freshman impact for each team as the previews are published, plus get expert predictions from Jay Bilas, Fran Fraschilla and Lunardi, click here. This is the entry for the UCLA Bruins, No. 1 in the West (Los Angeles).
The key: Incoming talent
Stat to know: 453
UCLA has a deeper, more talented squad that's sure to be more up-tempo than the one that missed the NCAA tournament last season. An injection of star power and athleticism has people thinking big in Westwood.
Much of that hope depends on the impending eligibility of heralded freshmen Shabazz Muhammad (No. 2 in the ESPN 100) and Kyle Anderson (No. 5 in the ESPN 100). Getting clearance on both would supply the Bruins with the talent to get back to the NCAA tournament for the seventh time in Ben Howland's 10 seasons at UCLA. If eligibility is not granted to Muhammad or Anderson, or both, making the tournament will clearly be much more difficult.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Hot-shooting Temple whips No. 10 Kansas
- Unbeaten Wildcats remain unanimous No. 1
- Wake's Wilbekin out 3 games for violation
- Louisville's Harrell gets 1-game suspension
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game