Marquette has Sweet 16 potential
The Golden Eagles lose key contributors but will still be dancing in March
Leading up to Midnight Madness in October, ESPN Insider's "Countdown to Madness" series is previewing the top five seeds in each of the four regions in Joe Lunardi's preseason 2013 NCAA bracket. To read all of the team previews as they are published, click here. This is the entry for the Marquette Golden Eagles, No. 5 in the West (Los Angeles).
The key: Balance and depth
Stat to know: 256
Marquette's offense last year relied heavily on the ability of seniors Darius Johnson-Odom and Jae Crowder, who averaged a combined 36 points per game. Both players scored more than 600 points for the Golden Eagles in 2011-2012. The third-highest scorer? Forward Davante Gardner with only 256.
Replacing that production will be a challenge this season for the Golden Eagles, but assistant coach Brad Autry believes the strength of the 2012-13 squad will be its balance.
"When you have a variety of guys who can score in a variety of ways, it makes it hard to figure out how to stop a team," Autry said. "I think it's going to be a different guy every night. It's not going to be one person; it's going to be us. Not just Darius or not just Jae.
"Obviously there are going to be times where someone is going to need to get 20 [points] or grab 15 rebounds, but it will be a combination of our entire team taking over those roles."
To read the full 2012-13 Marquette preview, including the Golden Eagles' season outlook from Joe Lunardi, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Green Bay coach to keep job after investigation
- DePaul grants Kirk permission to seek transfer
- Coach K calls Team USA 'ultimate honor'
- Florida F Yeguete has surgery on right knee
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game