Rick Pitino's historic opportunity
A second title would put him in rare company, and he has the team to win it
The calendar says August, but college basketball's upcoming season is already the topic of learned speculation.
The best guess is that the Louisville Cardinals will start the year ranked either No. 1 or No. 2 in the nation, on their way to a No. 1 seed in the 2013 NCAA tournament. Those are the expectations you work under when you reach the Final Four and bring back stars like Peyton Siva, Gorgui Dieng, Russ Smith, Chane Behanan and Wayne Blackshear.
I'll look at the Cardinals' chances of living up to those expectations momentarily, but first let's skip to the end. Let's just go ahead and award the 2013 national championship to Louisville. (Sorry, Indiana. Nice try, Kentucky.) What would that mean for coach Rick Pitino's legacy?
To read what a second title would mean for Pitino, and if that's a realistic goal for Louisville, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- No. 2 Duke regains spark to put away UConn
- No. 6 Virginia rolls behind strong second half
- Game-worn MJ shoes from UNC sell for $33K
- Dayton dismisses pair for violation of rules
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game