2012-13 ACC Power Rankings
Duke and UNC will again be big factors, but neither tops the list
The 2011-12 season can be termed a "down year" in the ACC only when judged by the performance of the league from top to bottom and a "disappointing year" when judged by the performance of its top teams in the NCAA tournament. Five ACC teams reached the NCAA tournament, but 10 of the 12 teams in the conference lost 10 or more games, and eight of the 12 teams lost at least 13.
North Carolina was the ACC's best team in 2012, but it was tripped up by injury in the NCAA tournament. Duke bowed out of the NCAA tournament in the Round of 64, becoming just the sixth No. 2 seed to lose an opening game. The bright spot was NC State, which found its way to the Sweet 16 before losing to NCAA runner-up Kansas.
The 2012-13 season appears to be a promising one for the ACC, with nationally competitive teams at the top and more competitive teams in the middle and bottom of the league. Here is how the teams rank, from best to worst.
To read Jay Bilas' ACC Power Rankings, you must be an ESPN Insider.
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game