WVU's long road to the Big 12
The Mountaineers will be a young bubble team in their new conference
Bob Huggins sounds like a confident man. When asked how his West Virginia Mountaineers will adjust to life in the Big 12 starting in 2012-13, he has a standard reply: "A better question might be, how are they going to adjust to us?"
I admire Huggins' attitude. After all, if I were a coach and my leading returning scorer were Deniz Kilicli, I might not sound quite so optimistic. Last season Kevin Jones and Darryl Bryant each logged more than 90 percent of the available minutes at their respective positions for the Mountaineers, but both players have graduated. West Virginia will be a young team in its Big 12 debut.
Make that young and very well-traveled. You might think the current conference realignment frenzy regularly produces odd geographic pairings. Perhaps so, but even by the wacky standards of 2012, West Virginia playing in a league otherwise comprised of teams from Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas is an outlier.
To read why West Virginia faces a big adjustment moving to the Big 12, sign up and become an ESPN Insider.
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game