Top college head coach candidates
Standouts at smaller schools, rising assistants and other top choices
Mike Krzyzewski, Roy Williams, Rick Pitino and Jim Boeheim are in the twilight of their careers. They will be replaced by guys such as Billy Donovan, John Calipari and Bill Self as the elder statesmen in the college basketball coaching ranks.
But who are some of the rising young head coaches in the game -- and who are some of the top assistants who are primed to be taking over their own programs in the not-so-distant future? Who are the former head coaches still on the sidelines who are deserving of another shot at a lead role?
We got together and compiled our list of coaches who should be on an athletic director's wish list.
Head coaches (must be under 40 years of age)
1. Mike White, Louisiana Tech Bulldogs -- He has turned down a couple of high-major jobs this past offseason, but he'll almost certainly remain a hot name because of his lineage and also the fact he has a strong team returning at Louisiana Tech. The 37-year-old is the son of Duke athletic director Kevin White, but take that out of the equation and he's still a rising star in the business.
To read Jay Bilas and Jeff Goodman's full list of the top college head coach candidates, sign up for Insider today.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- No. 8 Irish need block in OT to thwart NC State
- Coach K gets 1,000th win; Duke tops St. John's
- No. 2 UVa escapes Hokies to stay unbeaten
- Wells' late tip-in caps Maryland's comeback
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider on ESPN.com
John Gasaway compares this Virginia team to the great Cavs of the 80's.