Top 'next men up' in college hoops
Arizona's Rondae Hollis-Jefferson among nation's key emerging players
- Casey Sapio/USA TODAY SportsRondae Hollis-Jefferson has averaged 12.3 points per game since Brandon Ashley went down.
Whether it's due to injury, suspension or transfer, player departures are a constant. Trust me on this; I've been trying to write oh-so-precise season previews for a few seasons now, and this part of the game is highly inconvenient for that task.
Sure enough, the unexpected departures have been wreaking their special brand of havoc again this season, and their impact has been felt by some of the top teams in the nation. So today I want to salute the "Next Man Up," the player whom our oh-so-precise season preview didn't really bother with but who turns out to be a very important performer indeed.
Here are this season's best examples of next-man-up players:
To read about all of the "Next Men Up" in college basketball this season, become an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UCSB fan confronts Hawaii coach, arrested
- No. 6 Villanova seals Big East title with win
- Appling-led Spartans hit on all cylinders in win
- Kilpatrick's 34 pace Cincinnati by Memphis
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
College Basketball on Insider
John Gasaway breaks down the best teams in the Big Ten.