Latest Bracket Math update
Wisconsin, Syracuse among teams with best résumés midway through season
- AP Photo/Aaron FavilaBen Brust and Wisconsin already have beaten eight teams expected in the NCAA tournament field.This edition of "Bracket Math" includes games through Friday, Jan. 17. Rankings reflect an up-to-date S-curve from yours truly, posing as one hypothetical member of the NCAA men's basketball committee.
Joe Lunardi's 2014 Bracket Odds
If the NCAA tournament began today, which teams have the best chance at a national title run?
• Syracuse Orange, 7-0 (N-Minnesota, N-California, N-Baylor, Indiana, at St. John's, Villanova, North Carolina)
• Kansas Jayhawks, 7-4 (N-Duke, N-New Mexico, Georgetown, Toledo, at Oklahoma, Kansas State, at Iowa State)
• Michigan State Spartans, 6-1 (N-Kentucky, N-Oklahoma, at Texas, at Indiana, Ohio State, Minnesota) On the flip side, we have quite a few presumed or hopeful NCAA teams that are more sizzle than steak at this point. Most, if not all, will need to bag at least a couple of tourney-level wins in league play to remain viable for an at-large bid (should they need one): • Maryland Terrapins, 0-5 (NCAA tournament-level wins: none*)
• Boise State Broncos, 0-4 (NCAA tournament-level wins: none)
• Marquette Golden Eagles, 1-7 (NCAA tournament-level wins: N-George Washington)
• Virginia Cavaliers, 1-4 (NCAA tournament-level wins: at Florida State)
• Virginia Commonwealth Rams, 1-4 (NCAA tournament-level wins: at Virginia)
• Southern Methodist Mustangs, 1-4 (NCAA tournament-level wins: Connecticut)
• Indiana Hoosiers, 1-4 (NCAA tournament-level wins: Wisconsin)
* Neither Providence nor Notre Dame, each a Maryland victim, is on the projected at-large board today. The moral of the story never changes. The best way to get into the NCAA tournament is to play (and beat) teams that are also going. Failing to do so is at a team's own risk.
To read Joe Lunardi's complete Bracket Math update, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Embiid (back) could be out until mid-NCAAs
- Florida, Wichita St. remain 1-2; UK falls out
- Delaware clinches 1st NCAA bid since 1999
- Manhattan wins MAAC, punches NCAA ticket
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
College Basketball on Insider
Peter Keating breaks down the top conference tournaments for Giant Killers.