Don't count Louisville out
They've suffered big losses and also attrition, but the Cards remain good
- AP Photo/Michael DwyerRuss Smith's development as an efficient scoring point guard shouldn't go overlooked.
When this week's ESPN.com Power Rankings came out, I couldn't help but notice that my opinion of Louisville is not what you'd call widely shared. I had the Cards ranked No. 5, but most of my colleagues (seven of nine fellow voters) didn't even have Rick Pitino's club in the top 10. That tracks pretty well with the AP poll, where the Cards are ranked No. 12.
That seems a bit harsh for a 13-2 team whose only losses came by single digits to North Carolina (on a neutral floor) and Kentucky (at Rupp Arena), doesn't it?
To read John Gasaway's full breakdown of Louisville, sign up for Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Harvard snags 1st spot in NCAA tourney field
- Wichita St. routs Evansville, improves to 32-0
- McDermott among Wooden Award finalists
- South Carolina coach Martin sorry for outburst
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
College Basketball on Insider
Bruce Pearl and Seth Greenberg provide scouting reports for North Carolina-Duke.