- Buffalo, NYHometown
- Christian Life Center AcademyHigh School
- 270 lbsWeight
- —Overall Rank
- 40Position Rank
- Jun 30, 2010
- Chris Coleman back in the fold for FIU
- ESPNU's No. 10 center in the 2010 class has verbally committed to Florida International for the second time, The Miami Herald reports.
Coleman originally chose the Golden Panthers following is sophomore season. He told the paper head coach Isiah Thomas was the main reason for his decision.
"I wanted to get coached by someone that knows the game," Coleman said of Thomas. "Plus, I loved the school when I went down there and you can't beat the weather in Miami."
Coleman held high-major offers from Syracuse, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Connecticut and others.
- Jul 10, 2009
- Isiah Thomas, FIU nab Super 60 center
- According to multiple sources, 6-foot-10 center Chris Coleman, ranked No. 43 in the ESPNU Super 60, gave new Florida International coach Isiah Thomas a verbal commitment while competing at the Reebok All-American Camp in Philadelphia this week.
The Buffalo, N.Y. native had been fielding offers from high-major schools such as Connecticut, West Virginia, Syracuse, Virginia Tech and others.
ESPN.com Recruiting Coordinator Reggie Rankin watched Coleman this spring.
"This young post is tough to handle in the lane because he 's not only tall but wide and he seals his man with ease," he said. "Chris is a huge target that can score with his back to the basket and also has a nice touch while extending over defenders inside.
"Coleman also has great hands as he catches tough passes in traffic and either scores or draws fouls."
Rankin did note that this big bodied post does need to work on his body in the coming years in order to realize is potential.
"His lift is not great at this point mainly because of his lack of conditioning," Rankin offered. "Chris needs to work at running the floor harder which should improve as he gets in better shape. He sometimes runs with short strides and misses scoring opportunities.
He is still very much a work in progress but with steady improvement Coleman will dominate the lane and be an impact player."
Needless to say, this is an outstanding get for Thomas and FIU.
"Isiah has really made an impression with this commitment," Rankin concluded. "Coleman make an immediate impact in the post for the Golden Panthers. It also sends a message that the FIU staff will go after high level players. Coleman's commitment may not be the first."