Braves demise not exxagerated
Carl Crawford is walking more and emerging into one of the best leadoff men in baseball.
Updated: June 1, 2004, 4:05 PM ETBy Jim Baker | MLB Insider
I think it's high time we read a few of your letters. Yesterday, I discussed the best and worst leadoff men of 2004 so far. That prompted this response:
- Jim: I read your article on Leadoff men: well written,
but no mention of Carl Crawford? His OBP is only
.348, due mostly to lack of walks, but its only his
3rd season, he's at the top of the league in stolen
bases with 21, and he's scored 28 runs on a team that
can't drive anyone in. His OBP when he's leading off
an inning is .392, and whenever he's on base he's a
threat to steal not only 2nd, but 3rd as well. Two or
three years from now, I think he will be the top
leadoff hitter in baseball.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
- Trade talks for OF Kemp active, agent says
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- Sources: Tigers close to deal with OF Davis
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Atlanta Braves Quarter-Zip Silver Ice Pullover