Habby, Nabby try to bounce back
How Nikolai Khabibulin and Evgeni Nabokov respond to adversity this postseason will determine their reputation.
- Though they lost only one game apiece with their respective Game 2s this week, the increasing pressure of the conference finals has brought about more questions and concerns about Tampa Bay goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin and San Jose netminder Evgeni Nabokov than at any time this playoff season.Both had been cruising along, playing in those zones that great goaltenders find when every puck looks like a beach ball and the ones they can't see somehow end up in their equipment anyway. Even the near-great goalies venture into that zone occasionally, but they can't sustain it as long as the legends who make their names in the spring.The Flames might have figured out Evgeni Nabokov.
How Khabibulin and Nabokov deal with their first experiences with adversity this postseason will determine whether either can elevate himself to the class of the past playoff greats. They will either put their names alongside Roy, Richter and Brodeur or join the likes of Kelly Hrudey and Kirk McLean on the longer list of those who couldn't sparkle long enough.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley collapses, game postponed
- Crosby fuels early flurry as Pens clip Caps
- Kings corral Flames to extend streak to 8
- Avs take fifth in 6 on Duchene's goal in OT
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Soft-Touch Men's New York Islanders Evgeni Nabokov #20 Player Replica Royal T-Shirt
- NHL Home
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus B. Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs