Nabokov stymies talented Avs
Led by 28-year-old Evgeni Nabokov the Sharks were a better team than the star-filled Avalanche.
- Here are some notable items from around the Stanley Cup playoffs:
Nabby snuffs out Avs' shooters
In the Colorado Avalanche's first nine playoff appearances they were used to seeing game-saving goaltending performances with future Hall of Famers Patrick Roy in their net. In postseason No. 10 the Avs again saw superb netminding, but this time they were being shut down by San Jose's Evgeni Nabokov.The Flames might have figured out Evgeni Nabokov.
Nabokov made 28 saves in Tuesday night's 3-1 series-clinching Game 6 victory over Colorado and was the major reason the Sharks advanced to the Western Conference finals for the first time in franchise history.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars honor Cup hero Modano, retire jersey
- Caps score 3 times in 3rd, rally past Coyotes
- Lupul nets OT winner as Leafs defeat Flyers
- Smith lifts Bruins past Lightning in shootout
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Soft-Touch Men's New York Islanders Evgeni Nabokov #20 Player Replica Royal T-Shirt
- NHL Home
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus B. Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs