GM Burke will have plenty of suitors
The Canucks can't answer why they canned Brian Burke, the architect of the team's rise to prominence.
- Brian Burke had been rumored for months to be on the outs with the Vancouver Canucks, so it wasn't as shocking Monday when the team announced it wouldn't renew his contract as president and general manager.
But when the decision finally came it was no less baffling as the club dumped the architect of the team's rise from an overpaid, cliquey, money-losing team to an entertaining, provincially loved, hugely profitable club that rose to among the top three teams in the Western Conference in six years.After Canucks head coach Marc Crawford signed a contract extension just before the new year and no progress was made to re-sign Burke, Vancouver media swarmed over speculation and conspiracies as to why Burke's job was in jeopardy. The No. 1 cause has been cited as a rift between him and Stanley McCammon, chief executive of Seattle-based Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Canucks.APThe Canucks' fourth straight postseason berth wasn't enough to guarantee Brian Burke's job.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Sutter sends Pens past Ducks in shootout
- Luongo shuts out Sabres in return to Florida
- Franzen's 2 goals highlight Wings' barrage
- Rangers use late rally to outstrip Hurricanes
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Little Earth Vancouver Canucks Cross-Body Navy Sheen Purse
- NHL Home
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus B. Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs