Avs dream near-impossible dream
Joe Sakic kept the Avalanche thinking they can be the third team to overcome a three games to none deficit.
The 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs and the 1975 New York Islanders are the only NHL teams to ever come back from such a deficit to win a best-of-7 Stanley Cup playoff series. They give every team hope that the feat isn't as dire as it looks and that some team will eventually join that group.
Colorado center Joe Sakic kept the Avalanche thinking they can be the third team to join that elite group when he quickly fired a wrist shot past Sharks goalie Evegeni Nabokov at 5:15 of overtime for the only goal of Game 4 on Wednesday night, cutting San Jose's Western Conference semifinal lead to 3-1.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Bettman: Players learning how to hit safely
- Injured Blackhawk Crawford out 3 weeks
- Phaneuf suspended for hit on Bruins' Miller
- Rangers confirm Staal sustained concussion
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Colorado Avalanche Center Ice Collection Draft Knit Hat