Bonds not receiving much help
The Giants' pitching staff better start striking out some opponents or it's going to be a long, long season.
Any team that has Kirk Rueter in its rotation is probably never going to win a strikeout title but even Rueter is down this year. Last year he whiffed 2.51 men per nine. This year it's dropped to 1.74 as he does his best Nate Cornejo imitation. More troublesome has been the drop in Jason Schmidt's total. Last year he struck out over a man per inning. So far this year he's been at about two-thirds of that total. He did fan six in five innings last night, though.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Kemp laces winner in 10th to turn away Braves
- Cards deal for Masterson to bolster pitching
- Tigers' Scherzer sharp over 7, goes to 13-3
- Scratched Lester at Fenway amid rumors
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Youth San Francisco Giants Basic Black Adjustable Hat