Modano, Kovalev eager for fresh start
Now is the time for every player to prove himself, but some prominent names have a little more to prove.
Now is the time for every player to prove himself, but some prominent names have a little more to prove. While it's too late for a mulligan, the following players can at least show that 2003-04 was an aberration by stepping up in the Stanley Cup playoffs:
Teemu Selanne, right wing, Colorado Avalanche
Selanne hasn't fit in very well in his first year with the Avalanche, finishing his worst NHL season with career lows of 16 goals and 32 points. The former 76-goal-scorer played his way off the top two lines and was even a healthy scratch (twice, no less) for the first time in his career.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Reimer agrees to two-year deal with Leafs
- Bruins add NHL vet Sacco to coaching staff
- Eller agrees to 4-year deal with Canadiens
- Avalanche announce 2-year deal for O'Reilly
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Levelwear Youth Detroit Red Wings 2014 NHL Winter Classic Pavel Datsyuk #13 FX Highlight Reel T-Shirt