East battle for eighth gets tighter
- The New York Islanders are making it a race to the wire for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, and it hasn't been because of any strong play by the Isles.
Eighth-place New York is 1-3-1-1 this month, allowing the Buffalo Sabres and Florida Panthers to believe they still have a shot at the postseason. The Islanders (31-26-10-4) lead the Sabres by five points and the Panthers by seven. Florida has played one more game than the Isles and Sabres.
The situation is very familiar for the Islanders, who went 5-10-2 at the end of last season but hung on for the final playoff spot.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars honor Cup hero Modano, retire jersey
- Caps score 3 times in 3rd, rally past Coyotes
- Lupul nets OT winner as Leafs defeat Flyers
- Smith lifts Bruins past Lightning in shootout
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Sparo Men's New York Islanders Classic Watch
- NHL Home
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus B. Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs