Broncos' coach might lose team, power
Mike Shanahan is so convinced of his system that he has lost sight of how special Clinton Portis is.
Clinton Portis is on the block because he hinted that he may hold out if he doesn't get his current rookie contract extended. The Broncos have balked, pointing to their policy of not extending the deals of people who have two years left on an existing pact.
"Our policy when a young player comes in and signs a contract like Portis did is, you live by that contract, and when he gets to the last year of that contract, especially with guys like Portis, we renegotiate those contracts," owner Pat Bowlen told the Rocky Mountain News. "He's only played two years. It sends the wrong signal to the rest of the players who have to live by that rule."
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Seahawks' Lynch at camp after ending holdout
- Rice: 'I made the biggest mistake of my life'
- 49ers, Harbaugh table contract talks for now
- Manziel on NFL learning curve: It'll take time
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Little Earth Denver Broncos Navy Sheen Wristlet