Mariners to put money to use?
Kazuhiro Sasaki's decision play in Japan in 2004, thus free up a big chunk of money for the Mariners to play with.
His countryman, Ichiro Suzuki had this to say about the decision: "I've (always) wanted to play behind a closer like Sasaki," he told John Hickey of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. "He is also a person who fervently courted me (when) I wanted to come to play in the major leagues. I'm surprised, and I will miss him."
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Verlander allows one hit in 1st spring start
- MRI shows ligament injury in Medlen's elbow
- 'Nervous' Bonds back with Giants in new role
- 'Intrigued' Skeeters invite McGrady to camp
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Authentic Street Signs Safeco Field Street Sign