Coyotes with goaltenders to spare
Brian Boucher is the hottest goalie in the NHL with three consecutive shutouts.
- For an example of how fortunes can rise and fall, look no further than goaltender Brian Boucher of the Phoenix Coyotes.
Before the season began, Boucher had lost the goaltending battle with Sean Burke and Zac Bierk to fall to third on the Coyotes depth chart. Any other team could have had him for free if they were willing to pick up his $2 million salary, but Boucher went unclaimed in the preseason waiver draft.
By early November the 6-2, 198-pound netminder wasn't even practicing with the team after last dressing as a backup Oct. 23 and playing poorly in his only appearance Oct. 16 in a 5-1 loss to Tampa Bay.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars honor Cup hero Modano, retire jersey
- Caps score 3 times in 3rd, rally past Coyotes
- Lupul nets OT winner as Leafs defeat Flyers
- Smith lifts Bruins past Lightning in shootout
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- FANMATS Phoenix Coyotes 2 Piece Heavy Duty Vinyl Car Mat Set
- NHL Home
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus B. Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs