Panthers should grind out victory
Once thought to be a smashmouth squad that relies on defense and a power running game out of necessity, the Panthers looked like a complete team in their win over the Cowboys last week.
Meantime, the Rams fumbled away home-field advantage in Week 17 with a puzzling loss to the Lions. Carolina still prefers to pound the ball with RB Stephen Davis, but when the defense keys on the run, the Panthers can use their improving passing game to exploit man-to-man match-ups.
The Rams are a bit of a mystery: From week to week, no one except coach Mike Martz knows whether they will lean on their running game or put the offense in the hands of QB Marc Bulger.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Seahawks' Lynch plans holdout over contract
- Steelers holding off on new Big Ben contract
- Ravens sign suspended former Giants S Hill
- 49ers' Smith: I've stayed sober since Sept.
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Fathead Sam Bradford In Your Face Mural Wall Graphic