Panthers should grind out victory
Once thought to be a smashmouth squad that relies on defense and a power running game out of necessity, the Panthers looked like a complete team in their win over the Cowboys last week.
Meantime, the Rams fumbled away home-field advantage in Week 17 with a puzzling loss to the Lions. Carolina still prefers to pound the ball with RB Stephen Davis, but when the defense keys on the run, the Panthers can use their improving passing game to exploit man-to-man match-ups.
The Rams are a bit of a mystery: From week to week, no one except coach Mike Martz knows whether they will lean on their running game or put the offense in the hands of QB Marc Bulger.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Redskins' Cousins to start in place of RG III
- Urlacher: Bears should stick with McCown
- Ravens' Elam on Megatron: 'He's pretty old'
- NFL to look at big changes for replay system
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Toddler Home Game Jersey Carolina Panthers Cam Newton #1