Brodeur continues to dominate
Martin Brodeur is on his way to breaking Tony Esposito's modern record of 15 shutouts in a season.
- Look out, Tony O. And George Hainsworth's seemingly unreachable 22-shutout season might be in trouble, too.Martin Brodeur made 15 saves Thursday night in New Jersey's 3-0 victory over Atlanta to earn his league-leading eighth shutout of the season. A little more than a third of the way through the 82-game season and Brodeur is more than halfway to breaking Blackhawks great Tony Esposito's modern record of 15 shutouts in a season (1969-70).Martin Brodeur has made all the big saves this season.
The overall lack of scoring combined with New Jersey's stifling defense might even allow Brodeur to push George Hainsworth's NHL-record 22 shutouts. The Canadiens legend set that in 1928-29, when the season was 44 games, forward passes weren't allowed across the blue line and the red line hadn't been introduced.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley collapses, game postponed
- Crosby fuels early flurry as Pens clip Caps
- GMs debate OT rules, goalies, video replay
- Kings F Nolan suspended 1 game for punch
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Penguins Survive
- The Capitals couldn't take advantage of a late power play and the Penguins won the first of back-to-back games against Washington.
- Levelwear Youth New Jersey Devils Martin Brodeur #30 FX Highlight Reel White T-Shirt
- NHL Home
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus B. Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs