Pittsburgh vs. Virginia
- Editor's note: Football Scouts, Inc., breaks down the match-ups in all 28 college bowls games, exclusively for ESPN Insider.
Why to watch
After dropping two early non-conference games to Toledo and Notre Dame, the Panthers' senior-laden team "circled the wagons" and reeled off four-consecutive wins against Big East opponents, including an upset over Virginia Tech. Even after losing at West Virginia the following week, the Panthers controlled their destiny in their regular-season finale against Miami, but failed to capitalize on what could have been a conference title and BCS bowl bid. Instead, the Panthers, who finished third in the Big East, are stuck playing in a Dec. 27th bowl game against Virginia, which also disappointed in 2003 with a fourth-place finish in the ACC.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE INSIDER HEADLINES
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- NCAA, conferences sued over scholarships
- Gay ND tennis player: Support overwhelming
- BYU's Mahoney tosses no-hitter vs. Nicholls St.
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM