Reeves pays price for Vick injury
Dan Reeves was fired after a season that started with so much promise snowballed into a disastrous campaign.
The news was announced at a press conference at the team's training camp at Flowery Branch. Owner Arthur Blank informed Reeves that this season would be his last in Atlanta, and Reeves requested that he be relieved of his duties immediately. Blank complied and named defensive coordinator Wade Phillips the interim head coach.
It's no surprise that Reeves would be on his way out after a season that started with so much promise snowballed into a disastrous campaign in which Michael Vick broke his leg, the defense fell apart and no consensus could be reached on a starting tailback. But despite all those factors, Reeves did get his squad to improve as the year progressed.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Seahawks' Lynch at camp after ending holdout
- Rice: 'I made the biggest mistake of my life'
- 49ers, Harbaugh table contract talks for now
- Manziel on NFL learning curve: It'll take time
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rico Atlanta Falcons Rise Up Car Flag